Title: Ripon Cathedral (Dean and Chapter) Archive
Classmark: MS Dep. 1980/1
Creator(s): Ripon Cathedral Dean and Chapter
Date: 12th century - 21st century
Size and medium: ca. 504 separately-numbered items, held either in one of 96 boxes, or as 65 separate vols, 2 separate rolls, 26 separately-numbered groups of maps and plans, and 1 framed document, most on paper, but some on vellum; manuscript, typescript, photocopy, and printed material. Many of the numbered items comprise bundles of several dozens of individual documents
The greater part of their accumulated archives was very generously deposited recently in the Brotherton Library of the University of Leeds by the Dean and Chapter of Ripon. It is hoped that by this arrangement the material will be more conveniently accessible to the majority of researchers. A few items, however, remain at Ripon because they are currently in use or are on permanent display to visitors. The cathedral was a parish church before it was raised to its present status and the parish registers are deposited at the North Yorkshire County Record Office, Northallerton. This list includes both the material remaining at Ripon and that at Northallerton.
The archives of the Dean and Chapter have been listed twice before. A summary list was prepared for the Pilgrim Trust in 1946. A much fuller list was compiled for the National Register of Archives (Historical Manuscripts Commission) and issued in 1959. Upon the archives being inspected after their arrival at Leeds it was immediately apparent that the collection contained even more than had been listed in 1959, and it was decided with the ready concurrence of the Commission, that a new listing would be essential. This new list has been designed to avoid as much confusion as possible. It follows the style and numeration of the 1959 list and new entries have been inserted as close as possible to suitable places within its original framework. Some documents had identifications unrelated to the serial numbers used in that list; they have now been numbered to correspond and the additional items have been given appropriate subdivisions within the original notation. An asterisk indicates items not in Leeds, including a few which were listed previously but which have not been found; it was deemed prudent to retain them in the list.
These archives are kept in the Department of Manuscripts and Special Collections in the Brotherton Library and are available for consultation subject to the usual formalities. Researchers are advised to make appointments in advance.
The present Ripon Cathedral is the fourth ecclesiastical building to occupy the site, the first having been founded by St. Wilfred in 672. The minster became a cathedral in 1836, when the the diocese of Ripon (which covered an area from Leeds to Teesside) was created.
Catalogues of archives are usually arranged in hierarchies - one hierarchy for each collection in the archive. The details on display will be of a record at a particular level of the hierarchy. There may be other records above, below, or alongside this record in the same hierarchy. The full hierarchy is shown below.
Books, manuscripts and archives in Special Collections are usually grouped together in collections. Catalogue records for individual objects link to a collection record, which show the object's context, and associated material.
You can see the full hierarchy under 'In this collection'.
Catalogues of archives are usually arranged in hierarchies - one hierarchy for each collection in the archive. The details on display will be of a record at a particular level of the hierarchy. There may be other records above, below, or alongside this record in the same hierarchy. You can see the full hierarchy under 'In this collection'.